What should I work on next?

23 October 2008

[OOC] Quick Tip and Bad News

First, the bad news:

The Age of Extraordinary Gentlemen PBEM game is apparently deader than... well, disco came back for a bit. But it's dead. Which in a way is a shame, because I enjoyed the idea, but in a way is okay, because I wasn't really enjoying my character. Oh well, perhaps another time for that.

Now the tip:

I have been doing this for a bit, but thought I might share it. For games where the ability to form trained troops into line, column, etc. is important, I put those troops on square, preferably metal basaes. They can be used with magnetic sheeting in the bottom of your case, and they will still be able to neatly form line and column. For irregular troops (Pathans, Zulus, Martians, etc.) I usually base them on circular bases. At a glance, i can tell that they can not use close formations.

Its very early on Thursday morning - near 0200. Time for bed.

Goodnight, Irene.

2 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

This is a great tip. I did something similar with my 6mm figures. As I was basing multiples to a base, I can't change formations, so I limited it to distinguishing between ranked troops and dedicated skirmishers.

Troops that operated in ranks were mounted on 20 x 40mm bases with loose order troops being mounted with greater spacing.

Skirmishing troops were mounted on round metal discs for the same reason you use round bases - quick identification.

-Eli

Elderac said...

Hmm. I am going to have to give this some thought. It makes all kinds of sense, but I pause at re-basing my troops - again.

While I think, I shall seek a source of square metal bases.

Thanks for the tip.

Mark "Geo" Gelinas