What should I work on next?

12 April 2009

Game Set for Historicon

I don't have a day or time yet - yet! - but I will be running a game at Historicon this year.

Storyline:

The British Viceroy for the Crown Colony of Mars has been funding prospectors seeking out deposits of handwavium. One such prospector hit paydirt and sold the mine to the Government, then moved back to Earth a wealthy new peer.

The ore from Earl Blythingham's mine is now ready to be carried to Victoria Landing. Unfortunately, there is no rail service to it yet. So the ore is packed onto mules and carried out.

Many Martians do not welcome these wet-world devils. And the handwavium was meant by the Spirit Below for the use of good Red Martians, not pale-skinned freaks from another world! A group of fanatics, supported by "rogue" regular troops of a Martian native empire, will try to seize the ore for their own use.

Finally, a new menace is rising on Mars, seeking to begin conquest of a new world. Who is it? What do they want? And whats with all the hissing and clanking coming from around the bend?

Sign up for the game to find out!

We'll be using the GASLIGHT rules with a few house rules for concealment and other stuff, and six players.

Wish me luck - this is my first ever convention game and I am really nervous. I had to go and try to do it at one of the biggest cons in the country, right?

4 comments:

Eli Arndt said...

I am planning my first convention game for next year at GameStorm. I am super nervous and can't help but think that I have bittne off more than I can chew.

-Eli

J Womack, Esq. said...

That pretty well sums up my feeling about it right now.

Man... what if it sucks? Yikes!

Eli Arndt said...

It will only suck if -

1) You do not know or cannot convey the system.

2) You do not bother to put in the effort it needs.

3) You focus too much on the game and not enough on the fun.

-Eli

J Womack, Esq. said...

Gee, Eli, you're really building my confidence level here...

I just have to get some playtest rounds in on this one. But my main playtesters are either:
a) deployed to Mississippi, or
b) 10 and 13 years old, and
c) probably going to take at least one seat at Historicon.

I know the game system well enough to pull it off, I think. I just have to get the numbers figures out.