What should I work on next?

08 August 2014

Problems with Society of Thule Figures?

   I finally got around to opening the box of Society of Thule figures that I pre-ordered. As I am cleaning them up to get them ready to prime, one thought just keeps running through my mind:

FLASH!
(cue Queen music...)

   Did anyone else get a set of figures with a TON of flash? Far more than I have seen on any metal figures in years. The other sets I purchased were not so bad as these - Lord Curr's Company and Servants of Ra, both purchased at the same time as the Society. These are awful, practically lousy with it. On bases, on hands, knobs of lead, not just little streamers... and webbing between body parts (neck and shoulder, within the arms of a firing pose), too. This is the kind of quality we used to get in the 1980s!

   Maybe NorthStar shot the molds for Society of Thule out faster than the other sets, I don't know. And I have been able, so far, to fix everything with some knifework and filing. It's just not something I am used to having to deal with any more.

   The sculpts themselves are lovely. It's just the casting that has me bummed out. Did anyone else have this problem?

4 comments:

Michael Awdry said...

Just dug mine out from the back of the pile to have a look. Whilst certainly untidy they are not the worst I have seen recently.

PatG said...

Contact the vendor with pics. The mould might have slipped in production and QA didn't catch it.

J Womack, Esq. said...

Pat: Good suggestion. Sadly, they are already cleaned up and primed now. I'm not looking for replacements - they weren't (quite) that bad. I was just curious if it was a QA issue for several casts (possible bad mold) or if it was just a one off, like you suggested.

J Womack, Esq. said...

Michael: Must just have been my bad luck, then. As Pat suggests, probably a slipping mold with my batch.